--- Moderation problems with comp.unix.microport ---

Wolf Paul wnp at killer.UUCP
Wed Feb 3 02:21:19 AEST 1988

In article <409 at micropen> dave at micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>Echoing the voices of others:  I have sent two long postings to the 386
>Microport address and recieved no acknowledgement and never saw a posting
>containing the material (which *had* to have been at least somewhat
>interesting--at least enough to acknowledge its existence.)  Thus, either
>a mailer spurned me (with no feedback) or the "moderator" is being
>immoderate with his editing.  If the moderator(s) cannot keep timely postings
>of collected material then they should resign and free-up the discussion.
>
>Another point of note is the fact that ISC (and potentially others) can not
>respond in an unmoderated forum for fear of "commercializing" the net.
>Thus, moderating this news group may be the only way to get our vendors
>involved in this potentially crucial feedback loop.

I cannot speak for the 386 moderator, but John Plocher, the 286 moderator
and prime mover in the establishment of comp.unix.microport, is working
to get the group unmoderated.

He is also working to get the "black hole" sorted out which has swallowed
up the last month's traffic. To reach him, use either

	uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!microport

or

	plocher at puff.cs.wisc.edu

As for commercializing the net in an unmoderated group, ISC, SCO,
UPORT, and others can respond to questions regarding their products,
as long as they leave the advertising to satisfied users. There is nothing
in the USENET etiquette that prohibits a vendor from answering "how-to"
questions regarding his product -- and that's really all that is necessary,
isn't it?

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!wnp