a reply to ISC on 'clarifications'

kirk reiser kirk at braille.UWO.CDN
Sat Feb 20 06:45:23 AEST 1988

In article <1674 at van-bc.UUCP> sl at van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <824 at bigtex.uu.net> james at bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>>> [...] I'm running with a  WD1003 at 2:1 interleave. Going to the WD1006 will
>>> allow me to use RLL with 1:1 interleave.
>>I don't *think* the WD1006 is an RLL controller.  I believe it is ST-506 only.
>There are two versions. With and without RLL support. There will be two more
>versions in another month of two (supposedly) which will floppy support
>(again, with and without RLL).
>Remember RLL is just another way of using an ST-506 drive. Same physical
>configuration and connections. Just a different way to put the bits on the
>drive.

St-506, rll, and mfm are all terms used when talking about or working with
hard drives.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of information abailable about
the differences between these systems of disk formatting.  It would be nice
to see a discussion about the various types of systems like this or some
references to where information can be obtained.  It is hard to decide which
system to use when bying or building a computer if you don't have access to
info that will help make the decision.  I know rll is used in a lot of new
and less expensive computers to boost the disk storage but it seems this
could lead to compatibility problems with some software.

  Kirk

--
	Kirk Reiser			The Computer Braille Facility
phone:	519-661-3061			University of Western Ontario