a reply to ISC on 'clarifications'

Keith Ericson keithe at tekgvs.TEK.COM
Fri Feb 19 04:08:57 AEST 1988

In article <824 at bigtex.uu.net> james at bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

>> If anyone else has tried the WD1006 let's hear about it!
>
>I have been using one under DOS for a couple of weeks: it does fly.  As soon as
>the logistics of a free hard disk work out, I'll try it with uPort unix (which
>I own): if there is sufficient interest I'm sure I could work something out
>with a local Xenix user to arrange a test.

THe WD1006 does look-ahead buffering, I believe, and this will
probably be a pain in the neck for UNIX which tends to scatter files
all over the disk. I, too, have a WD1006 to try with UNIX
(Interactive Systems VP/ix) and have received an alternate
"non-look-ahead" controller IC to use whenever I get around to it...

keith