a reply to ISC on 'clarifications'

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Mon Feb 15 20:01:28 AEST 1988

In article <824 at bigtex.uu.net> james at bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>> [...] I'm running with a  WD1003 at 2:1 interleave. Going to the WD1006 will
>> allow me to use RLL with 1:1 interleave.
>
>I don't *think* the WD1006 is an RLL controller.  I believe it is ST-506 only.

There are two versions. With and without RLL support. There will be two more
versions in another month of two (supposedly) which will floppy support
(again, with and without RLL).

Remember RLL is just another way of using an ST-506 drive. Same physical
configuration and connections. Just a different way to put the bits on the
drive.

ESDI on the other hand does involve a different way to interface to a hard
disk drive. For these there is (I believe) a WD1007 which is ESDI with track
bufferring. Don't quote me I could be wrong.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532