PKARC

Mark D. Freeman mdf at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Feb 25 15:36:33 AEST 1988

In <4671 at ozdaltx.UUCP> root at ozdaltx.UUCP (Scotty) writes:
>If you are using PKARC, you might give some serious
>consideration to going back to the Standard ARC.  I talked
>with Thom Henderson today of S E A who authored ARC and they
>are getting complaints about PKARC not being system
>compatable (backwards) with ARC.

Only if you use one of their new compression modes.  You can turn this
mode off.  This incompatibility can be turned on and off at will.

>PKARC is in violation of S E A's copywrite.

No it isn't.

>The *occasional*  1-3% savings in compression is hardly
>worth the problems caused by incompability.

I don't use it for better compression, I use it because it is AMAZINGLY
faster than arc.  On the order of 2-3 times faster.

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
2440 Medary Avenue	   ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!mdf
Columbus, OH  43202-3014      Guest account at The Ohio State University