Trouble with VP/ix on 386/ix - (nf)

terry terry at terminus.UUCP
Tue Feb 2 18:31:14 AEST 1988

> Hi !
>
> 386/ix support here in Europe is really bad so I try this way.
>
> I've got some trouble on running VP/ix on two Compaq clones, both are
> tested to be full Compaq compatible. They even run with the Compaq Hardware
> and BIOS. Both of them have 20 MHz  and 2 MB RAM @ 0-Wait. On all tests I

Here I dive in again!  The bus speed on 20 MHz boards in an AT-style setup
chokes cheaper boards, due to the fact they are edge- rather than
level-triggered.  This is a generic problem with all 386/20 boxes I have
seen so far, but is more prevalent with the Compaq 386/20, probably because
they (Compaq) have a good reputation and sell more boxes.  This is *NOT*
to besmirch (have at me; I LIKE bizzarre words.  I collect them) Compaq's
reputation:  I like the box.  Just don't buy cheaper cards.

SCO Xenix is rumored to have had a problem with thinking there was a math
co-processor when there wasn't on the Compaq 386/20, but were also rumored
to have fixed it (a mythical revision 'k'... where's my copy?).

You may try contacting the OS distributor for a patch, or, if it's selectable
clock your machine slower.

[All items in above article that should be trademarked are hereby trademarked
 ...let it be so]

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!terminus!terry |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |