HELP!!!

Mike Maloney mike at ISIDAPS5.UUCP
Thu Jul 21 04:38:25 AEST 1988

In article <5029 at ozdaltx.UUCP>, root at ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
> I'm running SCO XENIX 2.2.1 and am trying to compile a
> program that contains the following code:
>
> main()
> {
> unsigned char p[720][72];
> ;
> }
> I keep getting the following error message
>
> test.c
> test.c(2) : error 126: auto allocation exceeds 32K

Move the declaration of 'p' to outside of the main.  It then becomes
external rather than automatic.  I believe that automatic storage comes
from the stack frame when main is entered at run-time.  Hence on a 286
system, you're asking for a lot (even when you allocate 52K for the stack
with -F).

This shouldn't be a problem on 386 systems, because they use a variable
stack which can dynamically expand.  386 systems also aren't limited to
64K segments.

Good luck.
--

Mike Maloney				"The nice thing about standards
Integral Systems, Inc.			 is that there are so many to