speeding up compress on 286

John Silva jsilva at cogsci.berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 16 20:44:16 AEST 1988

I just finished hacking compress to be MUCH faster on my AT system (SCO 2.2.0g)
by replacing the original 32 bit shift routines with a set of hand coded
routines.  I managed to speed up compress by about 24%!  (16 bit compressions
spend most of the time shifting around long integers, and the Microsoft
compiler uses a one bit at a time shift routine for 32 bit shifts)

If anyone would like a copy of these routines (two 8086 asm sources),
I would be happy to mail them.  However, keep in mind that they may not
function correctly on flavors of xenix other than SCO.

John P. Silva

---
UUCP:	ucbvax!cogsci!jsilva
DOMAIN:	jsilva at cogsci.berkeley.edu