speeding up compress on 286

david at bdt.UUCP david at bdt.UUCP
Sun Jul 10 12:57:02 AEST 1988

Has anyone looked into speeding up compress on the 286?  Under
Microport System V/AT compress runs really slooow.  On a my 10MHz
286 with (only) 2MB RAM a 60K test file generally gives times of:

	20.0u 1.0s

or there abouts.   I assume the slowness is mostly due to the hack
to "simulate" larger than 64K arrays (which Xenix and Microport don't
handle!).  My particular problem may be raleted to swapping, in which
case the speeds might be better if I had more RAM.

Does anybody else suffer similar performance problems and if so, has
anybody looked into speeding it up?
--
David Beckemeyer (david at bdt.uucp)	| "Yea I've got medicine..." as the
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| cookie cocks a his Colt, "and if