X-windows under System V/386

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.UUCP
Sat Jul 9 09:36:40 AEST 1988

DOS under UNIX (at least on 80386) is a reality.
I've been reading about X-windows, Open Look, etc. every week now.
They've got me half convinced that a signficant part of the PC
world may indeed switch to UNIX instead of OS/2.

OK, so where's the beef?

I mean, there are all these 80386 machines out here, with extended
EGAs or VGAs and color monitors.  Yet, the only X-windows I've seen
advertised requires new display hardware, and half again the cost
of an 80386 system.  How's that going to move the world?  Maybe
a few developers -- but what about my father-in-law???

It sure seems to me that the road to follow for the PC market
is first to wean people from DOS to UNIX via VP/ix (or DOS-MERGE).
Then, you hit 'em with X-windows applications, and say bye-bye to
DOS forever.  But how's that going to happen if there isn't any
real low cost X-windows for extended EGA and VGA display adapters?
Sometime later, people move to large displays, if they care to.

I'm sitting here, in wonder, at how the X11R2 tape could completely
ignore support for the biggest potential base of X-windows users:
80386 boxes, System V/386, with EGAs or VGAs.

Gosh, can I be the only one who thinks that $2xx UNIX ought to
have a $50 X-windows available for it?  Is it coming?  What?
you want ME to do it?  Aren't we supposed to be working on
applications by now?

--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp at uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)