X-windows under System V/386

Dimitri Rotow dar at belltec.UUCP
Tue Jul 12 02:18:48 AEST 1988

In article <524 at pcrat.UUCP>, rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> OK, so where's the beef?
> I'm sitting here, in wonder, at how the X11R2 tape could completely
> ignore support for the biggest potential base of X-windows users:
> 80386 boxes, System V/386, with EGAs or VGAs.
>
> Gosh, can I be the only one who thinks that $2xx UNIX ought to
> have a $50 X-windows available for it?  Is it coming?  What?
> you want ME to do it?  Aren't we supposed to be working on
> applications by now?

Release 3.1 for standard System V/386 (Intel, AT&T, ISC, Bell Tech, etc)
includes X (v 10.4) support for Hercules Monographic clones as well as
a variety of standard hi-res displays.  All of the 3.2 / X11 stuff supports
VGA as well, so you'll be able to run Open Look as you see fit on nice cheap
cards as well as the razzle-dazzle stuff.

The current release of our X Window product also supports Hercules monographic
clones in the OEM version ... we've never released this as a binary
distribution because we felt 3.1 was right around the corner.  Our plans are
to sell X for about $145 as a binary software add-on with prices coming down
as volume builds (we'd go a lot cheaper, but X is a very large system and the
cost of preparing 12 to 15 diskettes and many hundreds of pages of documentation
becomes a significant fraction of the cost).  Would anybody be interested in
a "license only"/"media kit" split pricing on X to bring the X license below
$50?

- Dimitri Rotow, Bell Technologies