Xenix Configuration and Configuration Limits

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Mon Jul 11 04:58:59 AEST 1988

In article <3749 at rpp386.UUCP>, jfh at rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:

! as for the limits you have, are they too small???  my ghod, my 48 user
! 68020 machine only has 300 file table entries.  what do you expect???
! this is the configuration info for rpp386, as told by the soon-to-be-posted
! crash program:
!
! 	buffers	  512
! 	calls	   30
! 	inodes	  100
! 	e_inodes  100
! 	files	  100
! 	e_files	  100
! 	mounts	    8
! 	e_mounts    8
! 	procs	   60
! 	e_procs	   19
! 	texts	   40
! 	e_texts	   40
! 	clists	   64
! 	sabufs	   64
! 	maxproc	   30
! 	hashbuf	  512
! 	hashmask  511
!
! for two to eight users these numbers should be just fine.  perhaps you
! could enlighten us on how many users you have?
!

Some programs and databases open loads of files, and keep them open for
a long time.  The numbers above will be ok only if the users and their
programs are not hogging the system resources.  However, they could
be exceeded by a resource hog running on many terminals. (I know, it
happened to a customer of mine :-)  )/

Jonathan Bayer				(I don't know, I only work here)
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
19 Virginia Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY   11570
uunet!ispi!jbayer