Xenix Configuration and Configuration Limits

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Sat Jul 9 10:50:14 AEST 1988

In article <200 at stca77.stc.oz> peter%stca77 at stcns3.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) writes:

>Is Xenix Configuration documented anywhere?  Can anyone give me references
>to some books?
>
>Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation of what all the IPC
>configuration options do?
>MSGMNI and MSGTQL seem self-explanatory and seem to behave the way I
>would expect from their brief descriptions.  My attempts to change the
>other configuration values have generally not had the effect I expected.
>
>I am runing SCO Xenix Release 2.2.1 on a 286.  Does anyone know of any ways
>to increase the following parameters:
>1) maximum number of open files (NFILE) (currently 400)
>2) number of message queues (MSGMNI) (currently 40)
>3) number of message headers (MSGTQL) (currently 100)
>4) total number of bytes in message queues (currently 8192, but I don't
>   know why)
>Are these limits eased in the 386 version?

the configuration is quite simple for 2.2.1 and is sort of menu driven.
you need to run the 'configure' program in /usr/sys.  that should ask you
all of the questions.  then run link_xenix or something like that and
reboot.

as for the limits you have, are they too small???  my ghod, my 48 user
68020 machine only has 300 file table entries.  what do you expect???
this is the configuration info for rpp386, as told by the soon-to-be-posted
crash program:

	buffers	  512
	calls	   30
	inodes	  100
	e_inodes  100
	files	  100
	e_files	  100
	mounts	    8
	e_mounts    8
	procs	   60
	e_procs	   19
	texts	   40
	e_texts	   40
	clists	   64
	sabufs	   64
	maxproc	   30
	hashbuf	  512
	hashmask  511

for two to eight users these numbers should be just fine.  perhaps you
could enlighten us on how many users you have?

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with