X-windows under System V/386

Dimitri Rotow dar at belltec.UUCP
Fri Jul 15 03:56:16 AEST 1988

In article <526 at pcrat.UUCP>, rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> In article <240 at belltec.UUCP> dar at belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
> >Release 3.1 for standard System V/386 (Intel, AT&T, ISC, Bell Tech, etc)
> >includes X (v 10.4) support for Hercules Monographic clones as well as
> >a variety of standard hi-res displays.  All of the 3.2 / X11 stuff supports
> >VGA as well, so you'll be able to run Open Look as you see fit on nice cheap
> >cards as well as the razzle-dazzle stuff.
> >
> >- Dimitri Rotow, Bell Technologies
>
> What does this mean?  Is your X v10.4 or v11?  What software do you
> mean by "Release 3.1" and "3.2"?  What is orderable?

UNIX releases are named from the Intel/AT&T distribution.  The current
distribution in common release is UNIX System V Release 3.0.  This is supported
with X version 10.4.  We give X away free with our Blit hi-res card.  If you
want it for the Herc or other cards on Release 3.0, you get to pay an OEM fee.

If you just buy the Blit, you get X free for use with System V or Interactive
386/ix; when SCO releases their '386 product with streams, we will ship X for
SCO as well ... the product currently runs just fine with their pre-release
Xenix '386 with streams.

Release 3.1 is now out and available to developers on a two-week lead time from
ordering.  Release 3.1 includes X version 10.4 with built-in support for Herc,
our Blit card, the Univision and Matrox cards.  X is free, except that the
media charge in 3.1 went up to cover the cost of the extra 10 floppies required
for X.  Release 3.1 I think is of primary interest to developers, since the
documentation for it must be ordered direct from AT&T at a cost of about $200.

Release 3.2 will go into Beta in August.  AT&T and Intel have sponsored a port
of X 11 which will be associated with 3.2.  This Intel/AT&T port supports our
Blit, the Herc, VGA and as many other '786 based cards (Univision, etc) as
Intel and we can cram into the release.  It is too early to tell how much X
will cost when purchased under the AT&T license; however, since AT&T's price
on UNIX for Release 3.2 will go up dramatically it is a safe bet that X will
have some AT&T royalty fee attached.

All of our products run right now with thhe AT&T releases of 3.1 and 3.2 for
their own 6386 systems.

It is unclear what path Interactive will take with 386/ix, so we cannot
guarantee that X will run with their 3.1 or 3.2 version of 386/ix instantly; we
will track 386/ix as rapidly as we can.

I've posted this to the net since so many e mail messages have come in direct
asking the same question.