X-windows under System V/386

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Mon Jul 11 23:12:41 AEST 1988

In article <191 at cbw1.UUCP>, brian at cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) writes:
> Well, I think the reason you don't see a lot of X use on any of the standard
> PC hardware is size.  Have you ever tried using several windows on screen
> that, for the most part, only supports 25 columns of 80 character text ?

Yes, I regularly use Intuition on a CGA-resolution monitor, with a little
bit of overscan to get about 84 by 28. I generally put three seperate CLI
(shell, for those who don't have an Amiga) windows up, all in the same place,
then stick a few small windows running utility type programs around the
edge. It's very frustrating to come in to work and lose all that nice
functionality.

> Yes, I know that graphics can make the chars smaller and then you can get
> more of them on the screen.

Yes, if you got to an 8 by 8 matrix you can get more than enough of them up.
The Amiga supports a 640-by-400 mode, which is pretty close to your EGA
mode, and 8 by 8 characters on the 640-by-400 screen give you plenty of
room.

> But, when you really look at what makes a sun
> workstation a sun workstation, you'll see that a lot of it is the fact that
> you can have several LARGE (read: useful) windows open at once.

Yes, but you can get a complete 386 system for the price of the monitor and
graphics card you need to run that big a screen.
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva.
--   U   Ferranti International Controls Corporation.