Please remove PD-YACC sources from your machine IMMEDIATELY

Joe Buck jbuck at epimass.EPI.COM
Mon Jul 18 06:31:18 AEST 1988

In article <142 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>In article <99 at obie.UUCP> wes at obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>>Yes, most of the tools MKS produces are (debugged, well-ported) licensed
>>versions of gin-yoo-ine AT&T products.
>According to a posting by Alex White of MKS a few weeks ago, the MKS Toolkit
>does not contain any AT&T source code; ...

Interesting, but not relevant to the original flame war.  The version
of yacc that was yanked came off of a DECUS tape at some point; that
version of yacc is well-known to be a ripoff created by editing the
original AT&T source and DECUS no longer distributes it.

If MKS has a PD-yacc, that's wonderful.  So does the GNU project
(Bison).  As far as I know, AT&T has never claimed any rights over
all LR parser generators or even the name "yacc" -- just the right
to their own source code.
--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,pyramid,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
jbuck at epimass.epi.com	Old Arpa mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com at uunet.uu.net