C-ISAM(*) type isam-source & terminal interaction source wanted

Antonio Romero romero at mind.UUCP
Tue Jul 19 04:31:14 AEST 1988

In article <245 at westmark.UUCP>, dave at westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
> In article <371 at tolsun.oulu.fi>, reini at tolsun.oulu.fi (Jukka Reinikainen) writes:

> > For a number of projects I need a PD or commercial isam-type indexed file
> > system manipulation tools written in C...

> Have a look at CBTREE.  This is a C-language library of B+tree index
> and data handling functions.  It seems to provide the functionality
> requested by the original poster (but I haven't done a checklist
> comparison with the original article) and is sold as C source code.
> As shipped, it can be built for MS-DOS (using any of a half-dozen or
> so C compilers) or for Xenix.

> Not public domain, but the source code license is not very expensive
> (a couple of hundred, as I recall) and you may embed the object in
> your product and re-sell it without royalties.

I wasn't the person working with it, so I can't comment from direct
experience, but I thought I'd pass this along.

About CBTREE:
A company I used to work for had some unpleasant experiences with it--
to my knowledge it wasn't buggy, but according to the programmer who
had to write a bunch of code to do some file manipulations, CBTREE
requires keeping a number of extra files around to keep track of how
files are structured, etc.  After about two months working with it, she
suggested we buy another file package... while CBTREE worked, she had a
rather low opinion of it.

I also seem to remember seeing packages on the market which offered
similar capabilities, similar pricing, and kept the information of
Dbase-compatible files...  unfortunately, I don't have the appropriate
magazine handy, or I'd do a little homework for you.  I think it was a
recent PC Magazine.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

Anyway, that's my two cents...

-Antonio Romero    romero at mind.princeton.edu