C-ISAM(*) type isam-source & terminal interaction source wanted

Drew Dean drew at sdeggo.UUCP
Tue Jul 19 14:56:41 AEST 1988

In article <245 at westmark.UUCP>, dave at westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
> In article <371 at tolsun.oulu.fi>, reini at tolsun.oulu.fi (Jukka Reinikainen) writes:
> > For a number of projects I need a PD or commercial isam-type indexed file
> > system manipulation tools written in C...
> Have a look at CBTREE.  This is a C-language library of B+tree index
> and data handling functions.  It seems to provide the functionality
> requested by the original poster (but I haven't done a checklist
> comparison with the original article) and is sold as C source code.
> As shipped, it can be built for MS-DOS (using any of a half-dozen or
> so C compilers) or for Xenix.
> Not public domain, but the source code license is not very expensive
> (a couple of hundred, as I recall) and you may embed the object in
> your product and re-sell it without royalties.

C-TREE from Faircom systems is also pretty good.  As I recall, the source
code lists for $395, and can be ported to about any (professional) MS-DOS
compiler, UNIX, 68k boxes (they have a Mac edition), etc...  Oh yeah-- the
manual lists one function per page, in alphabetical order-- some people like
this style, others don't.
Other than using C-TREE at work, I have no connection with Faircom.
Also, I should note that there update from version 3.3 to 4.1 wasn't
entirely smooth, as we found some changes in the library only after we had
burnt a CD-ROM...(thankfully we were able to work around the changes...)
But then again, we use the low-level tools, not the high-level ISAM
toolbox.

Drew Dean
drew at sdeggo.UUCP
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;