modems for ATs running SCO Xenix 2.2.1...

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com
Thu Mar 31 00:01:35 AEST 1988

In article <2020 at cadovax.UUCP> mitchell at cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
| [ wants a modem for 2.2.1 ]
|
| 	1. Total compadibility with SCO Xenix 286 (Hayes?).
This is just not important unless you run without the C compiler. The
source for the dialer is in /usr/lib/uucp/dial.c, and you can easily
adapt it for other modems, such as HST or Trailblazer. Hayes
compatibility is nice if the other features meet your needs.

| 	2. runs at 2400 baud (and 1200 too).
| 	3. External unit that can plug into a 24 pin serial port
| 	on my multiport board.
| 	4. Reliability.
|
| We need it for dialing in and dialing out purposes.

We use the MultiTech 224E modems, and they have been quite reliable.
They have MNP level 5, which gives good reliability and thruput up to
4000 bps with a careful setup.

If you will use a lot of long distance, something like the trailblazer
is probably cost effective.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)