AT&T apology, reprise

Tom Yager tyager at mkunix.DEC.COM
Tue Mar 22 02:01:16 AEST 1988

Some people have been questioning the sincerity of my apology. It seems I
need to be a bit more direct.

I do not hate AT&T. I did not post the humor article out of spite or because
I or other DEC employees think AT&T is a joke. Hardly. I work with AT&T code
every day in my job and greatly admire and respect Unix as a concept and a
product. There had been other postings of similar ilk poking fun at other
corporations, so I thought (foolishly) that no one would take such a
tongue-in-cheek entry seriously. This was my mistake.

I also work daily in an area where there are others dealing on a regular
basis directly with AT&T's support departments. I can speak from experience
that they are professional, capable and responsive. I guess I took for
granted that others would know that the contents of the "memo" I sent
out were very far from the truth. That's precisely why I thought it was
amusing.

I posted this article without thinking. It was a stupid, short-sighted
thing to do, but I can assure you all that nothing like this will happen
again. I also pass my most sincere apologies to AT&T and hope that they
will accept that my posting, and its "keywords" entry, were intended in
fun and not meant to upset anyone or cast a bad light on their product. I
have invested heavily in AT&T products in past jobs and continue to stand
by the quality of their products and services.

Thanks again.

--
Tom Yager, Digital Ultrix Support ("It MUST be the hardware!")
U.S. Mail: DEC, 14 Walkup Drive YWO/C9, Westborough, MA 01581