Xenix 386 v2.3 bug?

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Sat Nov 12 11:21:47 AEST 1988

In article <40 at maxx.UUCP>, tyager at maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) writes:
. I just finished installing version Xenix version 2.3 recently, and (more or
. less) immediately stumbled over two apparent bugs:
.
. 1. System panics trying to format a floppy
.
. When trying to format a 96TPI 5.25" floppy in drive "A", the system takes a
. general protection panic before it even accesses the drive. Reads (tar,
. dosdir, etc.) seem to work okay.
.
.
	(other stuff deleted)
.
. I installed this new version primarily to get HDB uucp, which I like a lot. I
. was a little surprised at the format bug (that one would seem unlikely to get
. through simple testing, eh?), but I'm not THAT upset--it is new, and the
. problems may just be on my machine.
.

According to the documention, drive A is mapped to /dev/install, which is NOT
suitable for formatting.  They recommend using /dev/rfd096 or /dev/rfd048
to format.  (/dev/install cycles through different disk densities looking
for a match)

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.