Xenix 386 v2.3 bug?

Tom Yager tyager at maxx.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 12:39:43 AEST 1988

I just finished installing version Xenix version 2.3 recently, and (more or
less) immediately stumbled over two apparent bugs:

1. System panics trying to format a floppy

When trying to format a 96TPI 5.25" floppy in drive "A", the system takes a
general protection panic before it even accesses the drive. Reads (tar,
dosdir, etc.) seem to work okay.

Nuts!

2. return(value) from main() doesn't work the same as exit(value)

This simple program:

main()
{
   return(0);
}

passes a value other than 0 to its parent. Replacing 'return' with 'exit'
makes it work properly.

BTW, I found #2 while re-installing smail2.5. Incoming uucp mail was getting
delivered but the uucp/uuxqt log was showing "command failed with status 2"
messages. This resulted in a mail message getting shipped to the sender
stating that their mail didn't get delivered.

I installed this new version primarily to get HDB uucp, which I like a lot. I
was a little surprised at the format bug (that one would seem unlikely to get
through simple testing, eh?), but I'm not THAT upset--it is new, and the
problems may just be on my machine.

If anyone from SCO is listening, I'm running a Compaq '386, 2MB memory, 100MB
hard disk (70+30), 2 serial, 2 parallel, 1.2MB floppy, 40MB Irwin tape. I'll
be glad to make it crash again & copy the pertinent info down if I get an
email request.

Anyone else seeing these things?

Thanks, all.
(ty)