AT&T motherboard floppy controller

Give me a quarter or I'll touch you dragon at lfl.uucp
Sat Nov 12 04:07:53 AEST 1988

>From article <12445464823031 at osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, by DEBULA-R at osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (debula):
[...]
> prove interesting.  Incidently, has anyone else out there configuring
> hard drives noticed that AT&T seems to have (based on my admittedly limited
> experience) a rather unique set of supported hard drives in their ROM (unique
> is the kind word for it)?

Hmm... I don't see what's wrong with the list of hard drives in the AT&T
6386 ROM...  supported are MFM, RLL, and ESDI drives, ranging from
ST251s to Micropolis ESDI drives (135MB to 304MB).  Others include NEC,
CDC, and some of the more 'standard' drives.  Seems the uniqueness is a
boon rather than a burden, especially if you have tried to install an
RLL drive using a WD1003-RAx controller in a system whose BIOS only
'knows' how to speak MFM.  Of course, this is where those neat Adaptec
controllers are a help.

Anyhow, the WD1007 series is known to work well.

--Dean

----
sun!pixar!r2d2!dragon