DOS under UNIX

John Tompkins jct at psm.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 09:07:13 AEST 1988

> In article <345 at fsc2086.UU.NET> jim at fsc2086.UU.NET (Jim O'Connor) writes:
> >> The final version of VP/IX corrects most problems I encountered with 1.0.
> >> It also supports comm programs up to 2400 baud.
> >
> >In today's world of TB+ modems (and its similar companions in the 9600 baud
> >world) are we really to consider 2400 to be a *reasonable* baud rate?
> >
> Yes.
>
> In today's world of communication programs available under Unix (Xenix)
> i think it is very reasonable when someone, who still insists to run a DOS
> based communication program on top of Unix, still gets 2400 baud throughput.
>
> There is a LOT of overhead involved in accessing devices, so you get what
> you deserve.
>
> Paul.
> --

As one of the origionators of this series of questions I feel qualified to
offer a rebuttal :-).

Im my particular situation, I am not trying a patch together a quick fix.
I have been using, and prefer, UNIX for several years. However, there ARE
DOS program that are really nice. In this application, there is a DOS
complier/debugger that can debug embedded systems over serial communication
lines. Using the UNIX as a host, I can develop the system either locally or
over a modem from a remote site. This way I don't have to get on an
airplane every time something goes wrong. Personally, I think this is
rather crafty, if I do say so myself :-}. I think this example, and I am
sure there are lots of others, shows a powerful way of using systems
together.

By the way, has anyone tried running Turbo-C and/or Turbo-Debugger under
VPIX? I still think it will work but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Thanks for all the help I have already received, and am sure I will continue
to get in the future.

John C. Tompkins