Help! New owner of xenix need professional help!

Richard Skrenta skrenta at eecs.nwu.edu
Mon Nov 14 10:40:15 AEST 1988

I was in your shoes a little while ago.  Bare bones Xenix system, and
wondering how they could leave out all that important stuff.

If you have access to Internet Ftp, I suggest checking out uunet.uu.net.
They maintain archives of comp.sources.unix, and have lots of good source,
some of which can even be made to run under Xenix

If you don't have access to ftp, there are lots of bulletin boards and such
which allow anonymous uucp connections to download software.  I don't have
any of the numbers around right now, but I'm sure you'll come across them.

So far I haven't found any reasonable way to use a modem both as dial in and
dial out.  I had a few programs which purported to do the trick, but couldn't
get any of them to work.  Does anyone know if uugetty is included in the
newer xenixes?  (I'm running 2.0.4).  Are there any PD programs out there
which let xenix have both dial in and dial out on a modem?

Rich Skrenta