Help! New owner of xenix need professional help!

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.MASA.COM
Wed Nov 16 22:12:53 AEST 1988

In article <3700008 at eecs.nwu.edu> skrenta at eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
>So far I haven't found any reasonable way to use a modem both as dial in and
>dial out.  I had a few programs which purported to do the trick, but couldn't
>get any of them to work.  Does anyone know if uugetty is included in the
>newer xenixes?  (I'm running 2.0.4).  Are there any PD programs out there
>which let xenix have both dial in and dial out on a modem?

I don't know if this is "reasonable", but our customers have had dialin/dialout
modem lines for years.  What we do is simply replace uucico with a wrapper
which invokes disable for the port, then the real uucico, then enable to
restart the port.  Same for 'cu'.  This works out fine because enable will
fail if anyone is logged on the port, thus a shell script line like

disable /dev/tty1A && /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.orig

works just fine.  Note that Xenix has a utility ungetty which is supposed
to work like uugetty, and handle the above in a transparent manner.  I have
found this a bit flakey and prefer the uucico-wrapper approach.

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: ...!uunet!masa.com!{marob,dsix2}!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh at marob.masa.com