interesting "feature" in 2.3.1

Mark Corscadden markc at hpsmtc1.HP.COM
Wed Nov 2 08:48:43 AEST 1988

> / hpsmtc1:comp.unix.xenix / sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) /  4:33 pm  Oct 31, 1988 /
> I noticed a very interesting "FEATURE" in version 2.3.1 of Xenix386. This
> has to do with the time change last Sunday. All worked perfectly as the clock
> was reduced by one hour at 2AM. The interesting "feature" was that I have many
> crontab entries and during the day, on Sunday, each entry was executed TWICE!
> Each entry was executed one hour earlier than it was supposed to do so and
> then at the correct time! I rebooted the system and this "feature" no longer
> existed! It seems that cron may have a small problem.
>
> Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

This must be a cron problem that evolved early - I have seen exactly the
same problem running HP-UX, which is Hewlett-Packard's version of UN*X. I
don't know how far back you need to go in order to find a common ancestor
of HP-UX and version 2.3.1 of Xenix386, but I'm guessing they may both have
inherited this bug from a common 'source'.

Mark Corscadden			| don't want a pickle,
hplabs!hpda!markc		| jest want to ride my moter-cickle