Swapping a 386 motherboard into a 286

Rick Farris rfarris at serene.CTS.COM
Mon Oct 10 04:57:58 AEST 1988

I've been wanting to upgrade to a 386 for a while.  I've been hoping to
miraculously (California Lottery?)  come into enough money to go out and
buy a new machine, complete with all accessories, and then at my leisure,
transfer files from my 286 system.

I don't have tape backup, nor do I foresee getting it *before* I get a 386.

Well, I've given up on the lottery, so I'm trying to figure out the
cheapest way to upgrade.  The cheapest way I've found, is to swap out the
motherboard in my 286 with a 386 motherboard.  That brings to mind the
following question:

    If I just swap the motherboards, will 286 Xenix boot and run with no
    problems on the 386?  That would be really peachy, because then I could
    install the 386 version of Xenix over the top of the 286 version, and my
    spool directories, and user stuff would still be intact.

Have I forgotten anything else that I should consider?

Rick Farris            rfarris at serene.cts.com     voice         (619) 259-6793
POB M                          KCBIW              public access       259-7757
Del Mar CA 92014      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris    serene.uucp         259-3704