Swapping a 386 motherboard into a 286

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Mon Oct 10 10:10:19 AEST 1988

In article <279 at serene.CTS.COM> rfarris at serene.cts.com (Rick Farris) writes:
>    If I just swap the motherboards, will 286 Xenix boot and run with no
>    problems on the 386?  That would be really peachy, because then I could
>    install the 386 version of Xenix over the top of the 286 version, and my
>    spool directories, and user stuff would still be intact.

Last year I installed an Intel Inboard 386/AT in my IBM PC/AT.  While
this is not exactly equivalent to replacing the motherboard, it's
functionally the same (the Inboard plugs into a 16bit slot and is also
connected via an umbilical cable to the 286 socket).  I was running
XENIX 286 2.1.3 at the time.   Worked like a charm.  I believe I manually
installed XENIX 386 beta over the previous installation some weeks later
without resorting to backups.

While I could imagine exceptions, in general, a 386 AT clone should be
able to run XENIX 286 without problems.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at harvard.harvard.edu
dyer at spdcc.COM aka {harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c,mipseast}!spdcc!dyer