/usr/lib/uucp/uucico ignores LCK.. files

Dan Mercer mercer at ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM
Tue Oct 11 16:20:36 AEST 1988

In article <171 at libove.UUCP> root at libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:
:
:[ I posted something about this before, but got little response, and I
:  have reason to believe it died before going too far from my site ]
:
:I have a SCO Xenix 80286 v2.2.1 system, and it has one modem, which I
:use for manual dial out as well as automatic dial out for UUCP connections.
:
:While I am using it manually, if a cron job comes up that calls
:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico, the LCK.. file in /usr/spool/uucp/ will be ignored
:and I will get the modem commands being fired out on the line while I
:am connected over it! As yet, this has beena nuisance, but I suppose it
:stands to be damaging eventually.
:
:I'm running the distribution SCO Xenix system, C-Kermit 4E070 (which
:creates /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..ttyxx when you allocate ttyxx), and the
:SCO enhanced uucico for telebit trailblazer modems (though I have just
:a normal modem - I needed the ability to send BREAKs).
:
:Is this correct behaviour? I was under the impression that C-Kermit used
:the LCK.. files because the uucp software had started that convention,
:and now here is uucp ignoring it!
:
:Thanks in advance!
:
:--
:Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42 at andrew.cmu.edu or libove at cs.cmu.edu
:5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42 at andrew or jl42 at drycas
:Pittsburgh, PA 15206	UUCP:	uunet!nfsun!libove!libove or
:(412) 362-8983		UUCP:	psuvax1!pitt!darth!libove!libove

	Two possibilities:

	1.  You have HoneyDanBer uucp,  and the lock file is
	    is kept in a lock directory (I think its
	    /usr/spool/uucp/locks).

	2.  Your lock file no longer exists.  If KERMIT does not
	    use the dial command, this is a strong possibility.
	    Dial will set an alarm to touch the lock file
	    at 45 minute intervals.  Otherwise,  a uucp cron
	    task will clean up old uucp file (including your
	    lock file).  Next time it happens,  try to
	    check your lock file.  Or stay on for an hour and
	    see if your lock file still exists.

	Dan Mercer
	NCR Comten