Call to one site brings Xenix down, others ok.

Tony Olekshy tony at oha.UUCP
Mon Oct 17 10:26:23 AEST 1988

We are running Xenix V 2.1.3 on a blue AT with an old Consensys multiport card
and a Packard Bell PB2400PLUS.  I have no trouble calling any of a dozen
sites, except for my mail feed, the University of Alberta.  Of course, the U
has all kinds of other callers who have no problem.

On about 1 of every 10 calls to alberta, I get a carrier and the AT comes to a
screaming halt.  Nada.  The other 9 times it connects and runs ok at 1200 bps,
but they are both 2400 bps modems.  If I try at 2400 only about one of three
calls gets connected, and then only after passing two or three breaks in the
chat script.  If I cu at 2400 it connects at 2400 but I have to ~%break to get
the correct output, and then the line speeds are wrong.  If I cu at 1200
everything is ok.  I've never seen it die on cu, only uucico.

I'd sure appreciate any Ideas.

Thanks, etc., Tony Olekshy (...!alberta!oha!tony or tony at oha.UUCP).