Help: Hard disk initialization and XENIX

Cheng-Lee Nee cnee at wright.EDU
Sun Oct 2 10:28:18 AEST 1988

in article <728 at auvax.UUCP>, louis at auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) says:

> In article <299 at thor.wright.EDU>, cnee at wright.EDU (Cheng-Lee Nee) writes:
> # the menu for modifying disk parameters disappear forever!
>
> Holy Toledo, I find myself in the same spot, only with a Priam
> ID-45-D2, and a Tele-386 with it's own controller.  I can format the
> drive with the Priam utilities, and I can partition it for DOS using
> the Priam software, but when I try to bring up Xenix from the N1
> diskette, I get to where I should have the menu for modifying
> drive parameters, and nothing comes up, although the cursor is
> responding to the keyboard.  I don't have a working Xenix to use
> either.  What's going on here?

After several days working on this, I finally got the XENIX installed.
It can boot from the hard disk now. How do I made it? Well, the disk
parameters menu is still not comming up (I think something were wrote
back to the N1 or N2), but I use the Norton Utility to modify the hard
disk parameter table on the first sector of the hard disk right after
installed the Basic System Utilities (B1 - B3). Of course, at first,
I did the low-level formating according to the spec. of my disk and
copy down the correct disk parameter table. So, after the XENIX changes
the table according to the parameters in ROM. I just change it back and
it works!