SCO VP/ix - X-WINDOWS

tucker at urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM tucker at urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM
Wed Sep 14 06:42:00 AEST 1988

> told me that running X-Windows requires at least VGA.  I hope SCO
> will  deliver  a more professional package than the one  provided
> with  VP/ix.   If not they risk to loose customers to  Suns  386I
> that is able to display four Dos-Windows in VGA resolution.

That isn't a fair statement.  The SCO Xenix products are designed
to run on STANDARD IBM-PC hardware.  The Sun 386i uses a custom
video display card to do the "four Dos-Windows in VGA" trick.

Also, X Windows doesn't require VGA, but EGA resolution is very
limiting.  The IBM-PC RT systems already have X Windows with an EGA
display driver, but it is slow!

Tim Tucker
uiucdcs!urbsdc!tucker