Xenix/386 and 386 clones

Jim Morton jim at applix.UUCP
Thu Sep 1 01:42:59 AEST 1988

> >	My question is:  is this true?  Are there 386 Clones that will
> >run 386 Xenix (and what are they)
> i was also somewhat confused about a year ago by the marketing hype
> from sco.  they seemed to imply that 386 xenix was only running on the
> ps/2, which was followed by the compaq ads.

There has been so much confusion over this I thought I would just type in
the info from the 2.2 Xenix release notes. The versions are:
	386AT - for industry standard 386 machines with AT bus
	386PS - for PS/2 model 80 and compatibles
	386AT ESDI - for industry standard 386 machines with AT bus and
		     SMS OMTI 8620 and 8627 disk controllers

The 386AT version has been used successfully on the following machines:
	ACER 1100			Corvus 331
	Compaq 386			Compaq 386/20
	ITT 386				Mitsubishi PC-386
	Noble 386			Olivetti M380
	Tandy 4000			TI System 1300
	Wyse 386			Zenith 386
	Intel Inboard/386 in Intel-supported 286 based machine

Note that I am just quoting the 2.2.2 release notes here, I personally
have used 386 Xenix in many other machines, these are just the ones
SCO lists. The 2.3 release notes list MANY more, as well as including
a new SCSI version.

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim