SCRATCH FILE [for fsck]

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.UUCP
Tue Sep 27 07:07:19 AEST 1988

In article <88 at infopro.UUCP> david at infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
>From article <7188 at well.UUCP>, by dave at well.UUCP (Dave Hughes):
>> How can I get [fsck] to automatically get past the prompt for a SCRATCHFILE
>How about changing the appropriate entry in /etc/default/filesys to add
>something like "-t /tmp/scratch"?

Be careful.  This won't work when you fsck the filesystem which contains
/tmp/scratch.  Assuming that /tmp isn't a seperate filesytem and your
root filesystem isn't large, then /tmp/scratch will work.  Otherwise, a
better way would be to create a small device with divvy called /dev/scratch
and use that instead.  Unfortunately, I don't remember how large this
needs to be.  (Can anybody fill this in??)

In fact, when divvy is first run, if you have any large filesystems *and*
you have enough unallocated space on the disk, it will ask you if it
should make a /dev/scratch.  If you answer "yes", it will not only make
it, but it will put the proper "fsckflags" in /etc/default/filesys as well.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip at vector.UUCP | I've been a wizard since my childhood.
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-0486 | And I've earned some respect for my art.