SCRATCH FILE

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Tue Sep 27 00:57:45 AEST 1988

In article <7188 at well.UUCP>, dave at well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:

> How can I get Xenix 386 which has 2 hard disks running, with two
> filesystems besides root  - u and u1 (u1 being the only one on the
> second hard drive) to automatically get past the prompt for a
> SCRATCHFILE name when it goes through an autoreboot after an improper
> shutdown?
> With one disk and only /u for a second filesystem (maybe it would do
> the same thing if I had three filesystems even with one hard drive)
> and my online bbs crashes from some outside factor, it will recover
> by autorebooting and goes all the way through fsck by itself, going
> eventually back online. But with /u1 added, it goes through fsck on
> the first disk ( and root and /u) but then halts on /u1 awaiting
> manual entry of a scratchfile name, whereupon it proceeds just fine.
>   Oh yes, SCO Xenix 386 2.2

Move the file /bin/fsck to another name such as Fsck, and create a short
script called /bin/fsck.  Put the following command in the script:

fsck -t/dev/scratch $1 $2

The -t/dev/scratch specifies the scratch file.

Jonathan Bayere
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.