SCO Herc support Bug?

Jim Morton jim at applix.UUCP
Fri Sep 23 01:22:26 AEST 1988

In article <221 at milhow1.UUCP>, how at milhow1.UUCP (Mike Howard) writes:
| I was recently writing some graphics software for my SCO 386 2.2.3
| and ran into a `bug' in ioctl().  The sequence:
|   fd = open("/dev/mono", O_RDWR);
|   ioctl(fd, MCAMODE, (char *)0);
|   anthing
|
| leaves the screen screwed up.  Text is displayed, but end-of-line processing
| is perminently damaged.  Only a reboot seems to fix it.
| The same thing happens when I type `stty MCAMODE </dev/mono'  (actually

Yup, I found this too. Brian at SCO acknowledged that this could a problem.
(I tried it on a real Herc and a real Herc-Plus card).
Beats me how this ever made it through even trivial QA, though. It's
fixed in 2.3. The fact that Herc was only supported in 2.2.2 and 2.2.3,
not 2.2.1, and this bug, means if you intend to use your machine with a
Hercules card and expect a graphics application to work, get Xenix 2.3.

If anyone comes up with an ingenious way to reset the console driver's
notion of where a line ends when it gets into this wierd mode, please let
the rest of us know!

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim