Keyboards and Xenix

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.MASA.COM
Fri Sep 2 05:29:32 AEST 1988

In article <1280 at bc-cis.UUCP> raanan at bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:
>	I have a friend who bought one of those 386 clones to run Xenix.
>Since he used to have Xenix 286 on the old machine he installed it on the
>386 machine until the new release of Xenix 386 is available.
>	The problem: the keyboard locks from time to time (mostly at the
>"login:" prompt from getty) and to unlock the keyboard, he has to unplug
>the keyboard, change the switch on the bottom of the keyboard from AT
>mode to XT mode, plug the keyboard again, hear a bw3eep from the computer
>(because of incompatible keyboard), switch back to AT mode and ...
>the keyboard is unlocked.
>	That is amazing but I would like to know if I am right of suspecting
>the keyboard as being incompatible with Xenix 2.2 or maybe Xenix has a bug?

This is a bit far fetched, but on the standard tty lines getty() [or one of
its partners-in-crime] drops DSR between logout and the next login: prompt.
This is apparent on vt220 look-alikes which are connected to modem-control
lines. You will see the KLOK message appear between logout and login, on
the vt220 status line.

Perhaps (1) the same action occurs on the console line, and (2) your keyboard
also locks when DSR is dropped ? Just a thought.

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: {uunet|...}!marob.masa.com!!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh at marob.masa.com