386 UNIX on OpenNet

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Sep 20 01:46:11 AEST 1988

We need some more compute power for doing compiles, binds and so on, and
thought that SV/386 running on 386 PCs would be a nice cheap way of speeding
things up. The only problem is that we're running OpenNet, which uses the ISO
model, instead of some TCP/IP based system.

Would it be possible for us to either:

	Run some OpenNet compatible software on SV/386,
	Run OpenNet DOS software under Merge 386 or VPIX, or
	Run an extra Ethernet card in one of our 310 or 320
		boxes and run TCP/IP software on that.

Of course, the latter is most desirable... though conflicts between the
OSI and DOD models might cause problems.

Anyone have any ideas?

As an aside, what is the history between the split between OSI and DOD?