Comparison of 386 Unixes

TOM BETZ tbetz at dasys1.UUCP
Fri Apr 14 07:13:50 AEST 1989

Quoth sl at van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) in <2354 at van-bc.UUCP>:
|In article <717 at pcrat.UUCP> rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
|>In article <4160 at stiatl.UUCP> todd at stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
|>>This month's "UNIX Today" magazine (March 20 issue) has a review
|>>of the four major 386 Unixes.
|
|>I wouldn't put much stock in the compiler benchmarks that were
|>run in that issue.  The tested hardware configuration had
|>mixed speed memory - some 16 and some 32 bit (gag!).  The
|

|Yes, I was very disappointed with that article. His results didn't jive with
|my experience's at all. Also I'm not to sure I believed some of his facts
|(like pricing).

For a much better comparison, see the recent issue of MIPS
Magazine (April?  May?  I don't have it at hand...) wherein all
currently available 386 *NIXs are compared using a much more
consistent environment and test suite.

I like this magazine better with every issue... anyone who is
seriously involved with 80386 or better computing should be
reading it.

Standard Disclaimer: I buy my copy like everyone else, your
MIPS may vary.

--
    "Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,       |  Tom Betz, 114 Woodworth
           Bedlam boys are bonny,                   |  Yonkers, NY 10701-2509