Comparison of 386 Unixes

Curtiss WC 67625 wcurtiss at x102c.harris-atd.com
Mon Apr 10 23:56:22 AEST 1989

In article <4160 at stiatl.UUCP> todd at stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>To the 150 people who responded to my posting on 386 Unixes, and
>to other interested parties:
>
>This month's "UNIX Today" magazine (March 20 issue) has a review
>of the four major 386 Unixes.  "UNIX Today" is a freebie for
>"qualified subscribers".
>
>	UNIX Today
>	600 Community Dr.
>	Manhasset, NY 11030
>

>   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
>   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA
>   Note:  I have no idea what my employer's views on the subject are.

After this, several other poster voice their disappointments with the above
article.  I don't think anyone has mentioned it before (if they have, I didn't
see it cross posted to comp.unix.microport), but the first issue of MIPS
(February 1989) had a comparision of SCO Xenix, Interactive Systems 386/ix,
Microport System V/386, and ENIX System V/386 (They couldn't get Bell
Technologies System V/386 Release 3.2 to successfully transfer to the hard
disks on their test systems).  They tested them on both a Dell System 310
and Everex 386/20.

They had plenty of benchmarks, and a seperate article discusses some of the
benchmarks that are used.

A one year subscription is $19.94 from:

	MIPS
	P.O. Box 51615
	Boulder, Colorado  80321-1615

I have no affiliation with MIPS Publishing.

Any comments on this article and the magazine as a whole?