How to restor a level 0 archive?

Chip_N_Oliver at cup.portal.com Chip_N_Oliver at cup.portal.com
Sat Apr 1 16:13:20 AEST 1989

>In article <16436 at cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver at cup.portal.com writes:

>>I'm attempting to restore a level 0 archive from a set of floppies while
>>booted from a boot floppy (V2.2).  I've tried various combinations after
>>having done a "mkdev hd" and/or "divvy -b 1 -c 1 -i".  Some people
>>have recommended using /dev/hd00 for the output device, others have
>>said to use hd0n (where n is the partition).  The XENIX manual gives
>>an example (in restor(C)) using /dev/hd1.
>>

> To save a root system and restore onto a new disk I do the following:

(backup procdeure deleted)

>	5. Restore
>		- use bootable floppy to restore
>			restore /dev/rct0 /dev/hd0root
>
>I havn't had any success with using fdisk/divvy/mkfs from the bootable
>floppy (I'm probably doing something wrong). But the installation script
>from N1 seems to do the job reliably.

One of my main problems is that I don't have the distrubution disks (pls
no tedious flames, the system is kosher - the person(s) who originally
put it together were long gone before I came on the scene).

I guess my next question then is where does /dev/hd0root come from.  Being
obviously green to unix, I'm having a problem understanding how mknod
works and how a root fs differs from an everday mountable fs.  I was
under the impression that "divvy -i" would take care of creating a root
filesystem (and it appears to) but something is still amiss.

I was slightly in error in my previous posting; while attempting a
"restore rf /dev/fd196ds15 /dev/hd01" the error message I receive is
"out of space" (not "disk full").

Chip Oliver                            coliver at cup.portal.com
Lockheed Missiles & Space              sun!portal!cup.portal.com!coliver

--- this space left internationally blank ---