Archive Tape

bill vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Mon Apr 24 02:52:24 AEST 1989

In article <733 at pcrat.UUCP> rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <38 at blender.UUCP> root at blender.UUCP (Herb Peyerl) writes:
>>	We have 6 clients who can't use an IBM 6157 tape streamer.
>>	SCO's solution was for us to buy our clients Archive Tape streamers
>>		in the meantime.  (hmmmm. At only $1700 a crack)
>
>Does anybody have any experience with the tape package offered by
>"Hardtimes" (Computer Shopper, May 1989, page 440)?  They only
>want $399 for a 60MB half height with controller.  Sounds too
>good to be true.

Another tape recommendation here.   Maynstream by Manynard electronics, though
they have just been purchased by Archive (I think that is the purchaser).

They make a "portable" unit, case, drive, power suppy, and handle that comes
in either 60 meg or 150 meg cassette units.  I have a site with 2 drives and 9
controllers installed, three more controllers and machines are on the way.

Backup speed with a 286 box is in the order of 1.6 megs per minutes.  On IBM
80-71's the speed is 2.3 megs per minute.  I just installed CTAR from
Microlite last week and while awaiting a '386 version for the IBM I installed
the '286 version.  It's reported data xfer rate was 2.6 MB/min.

Nice thing about that program is it backs up devices, empty directories, etc.
If you lose a system, just reload the core, the tape drivers, and CTAR.  At
least that is what they say.  I will do it for real on my test/production
machine this week.

Street price of the 60 meg unit with the first contoller is in the $950 range.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP