Archive Tape (Was: Re: SCO Support Problem and Problem for SCO Support)

Bruce A. McIntyre bruce at mdi386.UUCP
Mon Apr 24 00:27:59 AEST 1989

In article <28045 at conexch.UUCP>, root at conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
> In article <38 at blender.UUCP> root at blender.UUCP (Herb Peyerl) writes:
> >	We have 6 clients who can't use an IBM 6157 tape streamer.
> >	SCO's solution was for us to buy our clients Archive Tape streamers
> >		in the meantime.  (hmmmm. At only $1700 a crack)
> The tape backup system I market is Archive's "FasTape".  This is an
> external system mounted in a stand-alone cabinet with its own power supply
> so, it won't over burden your AT's internal power supply.
> It uses DC-600 1/4" cartridges with 60 MB capacity, and is FCC, UL, and
> CSA approved for 115VAC or 230VAC operation.  It writes tapes in
> industry standard QIC-11/QIC-24 format so, you can write them on your
> Xenix system and read them on your Sun (if you want to).
>
> This tape system is very rugged and professionally implemented; suggested
> retail price is $1150.00, but I give fellow Xenix users a great deal on
> this tape system at $695.  That includes the Tape drive, controller card,
> cable, and PC-DOS program.
>
> To place your order, give me a call at (714) 842-2862 during business
> hours, or send your order to:
>         Dighera Data Services
>         Box 12100
>         Santa Ana, CA  92712

This souds exactly like the standard Archive external drive package, as
sold by TECH DATA and other Archive distributors.  Oddly enough, the price
that they are asking is the same for either the internal (no case) and the
external (case & power supply) systems.  Over the last 2 years, I have pur-
chased over 10 of these.  Some of them (the short card controllers) require
the new drivers from ARCHIVE or SCO, but the long card controllers can be
configured using the standard drivers with XENIX.  I have moved tapes from
these drives to IBM-RT, AT&T, 286 and 386 machines, and even UNISYS/ARIX
machines (not the NCR/UNISYS machines).  I have never paid more than $600
for the 60MB versions.  The newer 150MB versions will cost more.

I really like the Archive drives, and am very happy with them..
It seems that if you buy from Dighera Data Services, you will get the
same thing for only $100 more.  Actually that seems a real deal as long
as he will help you with other services... That is sure not much of a markup
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce	bruce at wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.