ESDI vs SCSI

William A. Turnbow williamt at athena1.Sun.COM
Fri Apr 14 01:32:52 AEST 1989

--
1)  I said bus transfer speed.  Not DMA.  I don't know if the DMA speed
is different.

2) Can you explain how bot the ESDI and SCSI drives you mention (1.2M/s and
.6M/s) are faster than the maximum DMA rate you claim?

3) Last time I looked at the AT bios it didn't use DMA in the disk
routines.  So it really isn't a factor.

4) You're right.  The WD ESDI controller sucks.  It seems to usually
miss tracks and give a transfer rate closer to that of a 2:1 interleave
drive than a 1:1.  The Adaptek controller I have has been measured at
slightly over 1M/s xfer rate raw, and over 800K/sec through DOS.

5) As for SCSI controllers supporting variable number of sectors per track,
that is only in the interface presented to the user (computer).  Since
the SCSI controllers have intelligence in them, they can remap the physical
sectors in whatever fashion they choose.  This does not change the
actual physical number of sectors/track, the spin rate, nor the final
maximum transfer rate.  We evaluated a couple SCSI drives at my last
job, and several of them could present 63 sectors/track to the BIOS so that
DOS could use disks that had > 1023 tracks (the BIOS doesn't support
more than 1023 tracks or greater than 63 sectors/track).  Presenting 63
sectors per track didn't physically change the media to allow greater
sector packing.  The transfer rate was the same as at the lower
sectors per track (around 30 something...I believe).

6) Yes, it is useful to have the SCSI port if you have a need or use
for it.  But most people don't.  I had a friend who gave that same
argument, but because he had no SCSI devices to hook up, and because the
SCSI drives were uniformly slower in seek time (around 2-3 ms) (xfer
rate was about the same), and because the drives were uniformly more
expensive, he went with an ESDI.  At the time he was shopping, the SCSI
drives were running about 33% more than equivalent capacity ESDI's.

7) Be careful about how you measure disk xfer speed.  I have seen 'coretest'
be totally fooled by one controller that kept an on board cache into believing
it could xfer over 5Meg/sec on a 386.  Some tests also seem to be less
than reliable on ESDI drives because it is apparently common or standard
to include a track buffer.