ESDI vs SCSI

Hans Jespersen hjespers at vpk4.UUCP
Fri Apr 14 06:30:22 AEST 1989

In article <5436 at lynx.UUCP> m5 at lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:

>Another big plus with SCSI is the ability to connect up to seven devices
>to one controller.  Granted, this might be sort-of insane, but it can
>be done.

Not to mention that each of the seven devices can be SCSI<->ESDI
bridge controllers, handling four ESDI drives. Thus one SCSI
controller can handle 7 * 4 = 28 drives. At 300 MB per drive
your looking at 8.4 GB of storage. I'm not even going to get
into multiple SCSI controllers.

Actually, the ability to attach seven devices isn't that insane.
Consider three 300 MB disks, one 125 MB cartridge tape, one 6250 bpi
9 track streaming tape, and your left with only two taps for
your Optical Disk and SCSI <-> MIDI interface. ;-)

--
Hans Jespersen                UUCP: uunet!attcan!hjespers
AT&T Canada Inc.                or     ..!attcan!nebulus!arakis!hans

"Yabba Dabba Doo" -- F. Flintstone