Exelan 205T installation problems

Milan Strnad milan at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Sun Apr 2 23:33:53 AEST 1989

I've just attempted to install an Exelan Network Card 205T in a
386/25 Compaq, eventually to talk over thin Ethernet to other
Compaqs, all running SCO Xenix 2.3.1.  I used the defaults
during the installation scripts, and all seemed fine. Then,
on booting, the system tries to initialize the board. Result:
an unknown error ffffffff, and the whole system hangs. Nice.
Talking to the vendor, they suggested changing the board i/o address
from D00000H to CC00H. This did not cause an error, but it still
hangs after telling me it is initializing the board. I take it that
it does not take 30 minutes to initialize the board? :-)

A couple days later, my Compaq developed a 205-Memory error on
powering up. (I hope this problem is not related to the 205T board
installation attempts). For your info, a 205-Memory Error has to
do with a bad memory caching chip. Has this happened to you?

milan at gpu