ESDI vs SCSI

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Sat Apr 15 14:05:24 AEST 1989

In article <467 at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM>, dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
> In article <98994 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt at sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
> >	Do you know of any good scsi drivers for the 386 that would be
> >usable for one of the Unix's?  At the time I was shopping around, there
> >were not even ANY SCSI drivers for microport or interactive ...
>
> I plan on calling ENIX today to query them on this, and to call Bell Tech
> again to see if I can get some kind of cooperation on this subject.  I will
> post a followup (I can't call yet, 1000EDT=0700PDT) when I have more info.

Well, it's not exactly UNIX, but I have heard from several people at SCO
that version 2.3GT is shipping in full product.  2.3GT has support (I've been
told) for SCSI, ESDI, and ST-506 controllers, and combinations thereof.  The
SCSI drivers in 2.2.4 (written by SCO, distributed by Tandy.  Let me know if
that's not right, Roy) are very good, so if the extensions in 2.3GT that will
allow up to seven devices are as good, 2.3GT should be great to have around.
I believe 2.3GT is even supposed to let one SCSI adapter talk to up to 7 other
SCSI adapters, each of which has 7 devices, for a total of 49 SCSI devices!!!
Now that's exciting!!!

James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request at tiamat.fsc.com" ***