ESDI vs SCSI

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Fri Apr 14 23:58:15 AEST 1989

In article <98994 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt at sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>In article <18iMUeeCE3101061nHI at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> rickf at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Rick Francis) writes:
>>for SCSI than for ESDI.  Of course it depends on how well the I/O
>>load is distributed across the disks, and how well the driver is written.
>	Do you know of any good scsi drivers for the 386 that would be
>usable for one of the Unix's?  At the time I was shopping around, there
>were not even ANY SCSI drivers for microport or interactive ...

I am about to purchase a new 386AT machine, and I've been disturbed by this
too.  Unfortunately, you have to make this decision before you buy your
hardware.  I was considering Bell Tech's unix, but they do not have SCSI
drivers.  ENIX's literature says they have SCSI Hard disk drivers,
but do not list any SCSI boards in their list of supported controllers.

I plan on calling ENIX today to query them on this, and to call Bell Tech
again to see if I can get some kind of cooperation on this subject.  I will
post a followup (I can't call yet, 1000EDT=0700PDT) when I have more info.

Dan

Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102