using a Logitech Bus Mouse with SCO 2.3.1

Dave Shepperd shepperd at dms.UUCP
Sat Apr 15 14:34:14 AEST 1989

>From article <532 at tiamat.fsc.com>, by jim at tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor):
> In article <528 at tiamat.fsc.com>, jim at tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
>    [ stuff about not being able to get a Logitech bus mouse to work ]
>>
> 1) use all SCO utilities to install mouse
> 2) boot DOS
> 3) run a program to use the mouse (such as the INSTALL program that comes
>    with the mouse)
> 4) warm-boot Xenix (i.e. hit Cntl-Alt-Del)
> 5) Xenix should now show a mouse device during the boot messages

I had the same problem on two separate 386 systems. Booting DOS first only
made the mouse show up a couple of times. Nine times out of ten, no mouse.
Kinda what I did:

begin_frustration()
{
    for (aggravation=0;aggravation<4;++aggravation) {
        put mouse on 386_system[aggravation&1];
        do {
	    Power up, boot DOS, test the mouse, mouse works just fine.
	    Warm boot Xenix, verify no mouse present, haltsys, warm boot DOS.
	    Test mouse on DOS, it don't work (diags say not responding).
	    Press hardware reset on the system, boot dos, STILL NO MOUSE.
        } while (!completly_fed_up);
        if (aggravation == 1)
	    Take the mouse back to the store, exchange it for a new one.
     }
    Take the mouse back to the store, exchange it for a serial version;
    return happy;
}

Exactly twice the Xenix system came up with a mouse, but one of those
times the Logitech mouse thought it was a Microsoft mouse or something
because it was sending all sorts of wierd stuff.

I can't recommend using a Logitech bus mouse with a Xenix system.
--

Dave Shepperd.	    shepperd at dms.UUCP or weitek!dms!shepperd
Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.